Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Warning: Make Sure you take Telemarketer's Calls Seriously

Mark Taylor is Still Rollin' on the River






It’s not like me to be mesmerized or overcome by a telemarketer’s call but last night I was. I was strumming away on my guitar and then the phone rang. It was a 10 digit number with no spaces in between the area code or anywhere so I had to pick it up. The young lady with an accent said she was looking for Mark Taylor. She asked me I knew Maynard or Millen Taylor and I immediately said “yes.” She said they referred her to me and she was representing or calling me on the behalf of Bell. She inquired if I had a computer and what systems I was running and all that junk. She told me she was offering me a deal on something. The problem was she could have told me she was paying me to buy her product and I wouldn’t have cared. My mind was still back at the first of the call.

I interrupted her and asked her if she was talking to Maynard and Millen Taylor directly and she said she wasn’t but people there had been and that’s where they got my name. This really amazed me because Maynard is my father’s name and he’s been dead for over 25 years and Millen just died this past summer and I delivered his eulogy. I was intrigued by the fact that somebody there had been talking to them and they hadn’t bothered to talk to me directly. Now I am familiar with tarot cards and lottery tickets, so I’m no stranger to the occult. I went on to tell her that somebody there has to be really good with a Ouija Board because they are both dead and that everything she was saying was nothing but a huge bunch of bullshit. I carried on for awhile but stopped when I realized I was the only one left on the line.

As with a lot of things in life, after you reflect back, you wish you would have said something else and this was no exception. I wish I would have asked to speak to the communicator or facilitator and find out what these guys are up to and how they think we’re all doing. Why did they tell them to call me? I know that from now on, I’m taking these calls more seriously and will conduct myself in a very orderly fashion so I don’t miss out things. I erased the number or I would have called them back.

No comments: