Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Hats off to the Officials and Twisters

Note From Editor-in-Chief and Player Mark Taylor
Frank Richard
Josh Bagley

Yeah, we like to complain about them (and I like to make fun of them) and want every call to go our way, but this is not a perfect world we live in. Last night the Ratz played the Twisters in the most important playoff game for either team. Both teams were pumped up with adrenaline and testosterone before the game. There were some plays on both teams that probably could have been called infractions, but Frank and Josh let the players play and hats off to them for that. They both play in the league and know that when they ref, they are not the show and do not want to decide the game. There were no penalties called in the entire game and after the game, our players and people who had been watching commented on the great job they did. Although I never got any comments from Ryan and the boys, I seriously doubt if they think the refs did them in.

I am not sucking up to the refs. I simply don't believe they get the recognition they deserve. Josh doesn't get the recognition he deserves for the job he does and he does it well. Anybody who says otherwise, should re-examine their position.

On the way to the game last night, I got to thinking about the boys from St. Stephen and how they have fit in our league nicely. I will admit that I was sceptical of adding any new teams and risk all the good that we have achieved in such a short time. This proved to be a very short-sighted opinion and I apologize for it. These guys have been great guys to play with, talk to and to be around. I conveyed this to them in their dressing room after the game and wanted to assure them that my opinion was that of everybody and we want them back next year. It sucks that their season ended last night as ours had in the same manner two years prior so we know that sting they feel. Still, they congratulated us on the victory and wished all the success the rest of the way.

No comments: