Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Hockey Voice Editor reacts to last night's game






It is not very often that the Hockey Voice deals with a hot button item like last night’s game 1 in the FIHL finals. I was in attendance and watched the game in its entirety. The game started very tentatively but when the Kingfishers got rolling, the outcome was not in doubt. The problem is that the game itself was not a hot topic afterward; it was the criticism from members of the Timberwolves about one of the Kingfishers and the officiating.

I was going to publish the comments by Dan Levesque and Andrew Dugas but felt it would serve no purpose. I talked to Dugas last night after the game and suggested he might want to sleep on it before sending anything, but he felt it was something he had to do. I find that sometimes when things are really heated, it is a good idea to sit and think about the issue, before dealing with it and that is why I didn’t reply right away this morning.

I am neutral in this and will try to see both sides of the story and deal with it objectively.

As an observer, it was very apparent that Jeff Ross was out to stir the pot last night and “get in Dugas’ kitchen.” That is his style of play and is what he does best. Jeff and Dugas work together and from all accounts, like to throw digs and chirp at each other at work. You can probably throw Jamie Ross into that mix as well, along with Carl Chambers and Greg Justason who also work together. Dugas said he has no problem with Jeff screening him, chirping, gliding through the paint; it’s all part of the game. The problem arises when it goes beyond the verbal and becomes physical and contact is made with the goalie. That is where Jeff crossed the line in my mind. In most of the incidences, he was not pushed, and made no effort to slow down or stop. I don’t have the scoresheet, but do not recall him getting penalized for this, but please don’t quote me on this.

Both Levesque and Dugas made comments about the reffing and I’m not about to pass judgment on the job they did or didn’t do. I said last night that it’s a totally different experience to watch the game and to be in it. When watching a team down by 5 goals is different than to have your team be down by 5 goals. To be on the ice and see what is being called and not called is certainly different than watching from the stands. Dugas said he tried to plead his case on the ice in the heat of the moment and nothing was done. To say that Jeff Ross was pushed into the goalie every time it happened is simply not factual.

I tried reffing this year and know first hand how difficult that job is. I would say that to officiate the finals is many times worse and calling the game evenly is even more crucial as there is more at stake. I do not envy their task and it is my opinion that going after them personally does not do anybody any good. I seriously doubt that when Gordie Anderson or Matt Clark dressed last night, they said, “Okay, let go screw the Timberwolves.” I think they try to do a good job but certainly could have done more last night to protect Dugas.

The next thing may not be popular with a lot of people but dealing with the problem yourself is another way of stopping the foolishness from happening. I’m not saying that anybody should headhunt Jeff Ross, but certainly he does what he knows he can get away with. I also know the character of some of the Kingfishers players who have played sports of many kinds and at many levels and know that if Jeff Ross was not a teammate, he would looked upon differently. They do not condone his actions. They do not instruct him to play with an edge; he does so willingly. I don’t think that Chris Hoffman would jump anybody that was to grab Jeff Ross and tell him that if he does “X,” he will get “Y.” Certainly he is not going to allow a gang mentality to take over and let a teammate be thrown to the wolves (pardon the expression) and have more than one guy deal with him or some big strapping guy lay a pounding on him.

Lost in all of this is the Kingfishers reaction. I think Matty was going to send a reply but felt that it would not serve any purpose either. He cannot defend Jeff’s actions but as with any friend, he would try to downplay it and that’s normal.

I have heard many, many people who talk about the Ross boys style of play and Levesque and Dugas aren’t the first and probably won’t be the last. I like a guy who plays hard, goes hard to the net, sticks up teammates and wants to win. Put him on my team any time. If the guy had all these attributes and slew-footed people, dirt-bagged people and ran over goalies like they were pylons, I’d have to say something to them. We are not playing for the Stanley Cup and will not make any money doing this. We all need to get up and go to work tomorrow.

I am not taking sides. I like to think I’ve made more friends in the league than enemies and do not want to see people get hurt. I think that most guys who have been around this league playing and officiating know the “usual suspects” when it comes to aggressive play and need to have a closer eye kept on them. Having said that, there is also no room for anybody making threats of physical harm to another player no matter what the circumstance might be. I think that if Dan Levesque could look back on his statements, he may regret some of them as from all indications and dealings I have had with him, he is not a goon in this league.

Come out and play hard Sunday and let’s not have a repeat of last night. It doesn’t do anybody any good. There’s my two cents. If you have two cents, leave a comment on the blog. Peace.

No comments: