Thursday, November 27, 2008

FIHL Reacts to Hit

I like to have fun with this blog and it is something that people seem to enjoy to get a chuckle out of now and again. If it can make people forget about their troubles for a few minutes a day, I have achieved my goal. I also want to be able to give other people a forum to make their views known even if I don't totally agree. I was involved in an altercation Tuesday night with Tom Wilcox of the XXX. Some people may have thought it was okay and some people obviously did not. I am publishing the view of one of the the latter;

Hey Guys,
After a couple of days of thinking about the open ice hit by Mark Taylor to Tom Wilcox and being urged by others, I have decided to send an email. From what was told to me by a couple of Ratz players, the hit Mark gave was pre-planned prior to taking the ice that night. Tom was no where near the puck or play when Mark decided to hit him open ice. The situation sort of took care of itself with Mark and Tom dropping the gloves and scrapping it out. Tom was more then a little pissed after the game and was told that it was settled and that we didn’t want to see anything carry over to the next game. My point is, that we do not want to see any open ice hits, or other hits in that matter, and especially pre-planned ones. Most everybody playing has to get up and work the next day and hitting like that WILL cause someone to get hurt. We play a fun league that of course will have the odd hit or fight but we cannot stand to have people planning a head of time to do this.

I think this should be a warning to you Mark to not let this happen again and that if it carries over the board will have to look at further action to be taken. Personally I don’t believe there was intent to injure and I’m sure that the fight afterwards was the end of it. Any thoughts on the matter are welcome.

Oh yeah, before writing this I did consider who he hit. Tom is definitely an agitator and certainly get his fair share of penalties but this does not justify taking things in your own hands the way it was.

We all signed up to play non-hitting hockey and that is what we should expect to play. We have had to e-mail quite a bit this year regarding incidents but I do hope this will be one of the last ones to be sent.

No comments: