Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Despite Gutsy Effort, Ratz Come up Short

Walsh: "I'm Glad the Buzzer Went!"Matty Walsh After Defeating the Ratz
Joe Walsh's Lady Friend From Toronto Celebrates After Game

Blacks Harbour, NB - The Fundy Kingfishers rolled around on the ropes until the final buzzer went but managed to stave off a late Ratz attack to get a 6-5 victory. A very tired and philosophical Matty Walsh noted, "I was glad the buzzer went. They had Taylor out there and that means they mean business. After all the hype and the legal wranglings of this week, I'm happy to get this game behind me. They came at us with 8 skaters but any one of them could play in the NHL so you can just imagine what we were thinking. Just as soon as the ref dropped the puck on our side of the ice, I knew we were in for a battle."
The Ratz had rookie sensation Lorne Grant between the pipes and held a 1-0 lead after two periods. Jim Buchanan noted after the game, "We were missing a lot of key guys but had the right eight I think. Like I always say when I get to the bottom of a can of beans, we ran out of gas. Lorne Grant was spectacular tonight. This only proves that the management of this team is solid. Taylor continues to pull rabbits out of his hat every year, signing free agents and bringing in new talent. Take Jason McFarlane for instance. Taylor signed him and he's got 14 goals in 7 games. Anybody on the Kingfishers Smarter than a 5th Grader to do that math?"
The legal wranglings Walsh spoke of was regarding his brother Joe Walsh who signed a one year deal last April with the Ratz. He reneged on his contract and chose to suit up for the Kingfishers instead. He met with reporters for a brief moment after the game and said, "Wow! I have never see gutsier performance than that. I don't care how many NHL-ers they have, that was special. I wish we could have had a more amicable split, but this is business, not hockey. I am going to leave the door open and any time the Ratz want to talk, I'm all ears. I have a cube and a 26-er and my stomping boots are going on tonight!"

No comments: